In this guide I will show you how to connect your Apple MAC to any VPN service that’s using the OpenVPN protocol. OpenVPN is a fast, stable and secure protocol and most VPN service providers will support it.
Before we start the connection setup process, you will need to find out the following details (best have them written down or printed). If you are connecting to a paid VPN service, just login and your details and settings will be there. If you are connecting via a workplace, please contact your Network Administrator and ask them for the following details:
- Your VPN username
- Your VPN password
- The OpenVPN configuration files (.ovpn, .tblk, .conf) you may need to login to your VPN service provider to access these files which will usually be in a .zip folder
Once you have this info you can then watch the video above or follow the text guide below.
Connect via OpenVPN to VPN on MAC OS X
- Download Tunnelblick for MAC OS X (choose the stable version) https://tunnelblick.net/downloads.html
- Locate the downloaded .dmg file, then right-click and Open
- The installation window will now be open, double click on the Tunnelblick icon to install, choose to Open in the security alert.
- Tunnelblick will now be installed
- Download and unzip your VPN service providers OpenVPN (.ovpn, .tblk, .conf) configuration files
- Enter the unzipped folder and select all, then drag all the .ovpn/.tblk/.conf config files onto the Tunnelblick icon top-right of your screen
- To connect, click the Tunnelblick icon top-right of your screen, then choose Connect to [vpn_name], to disconnect, click the Tunnelblick icon again and choose Disconnect [vpn_name]
- Tunnelblick will advise you if the connection was successful, if it wasn’t, contact your VPN service provider or network admin
- All done!