In this guide I will show you how to connect your Windows (all versions) PC/laptop to any VPN service that’s using the OpenVPN protocol. The OpenVPN Protocol is a fast, secure and very stable protocol and most VPN service providers will support it.
Before we start the connection setup process, you will need to find out the following details (best have them written down or printed). If you are connecting to a paid VPN service, just login and your details and settings will be there. If you are connecting via a workplace, please contact your Network Administrator and ask them for the following details:
- Your VPN username
- Your VPN password
- The OpenVPN configuration files (.ovpn) which will be available from your VPN service provider (you may need to login to your account to access the files) or network administrator.
Once you have this info you can then watch the video above or follow the text guide below.
Connect using OpenVPN to VPN on Windows
- Visit this link to download the OpenVPN Windows installer package https://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/downloads.html
- Locate the downloaded program, right-click on it and choose Run as Administrator or choose to “Run” from your browser after it downloads
- Click Yes to allow the program to run, follow the app instructions to install
- Once the app is installed, download and locate the OpenVPN configuration files from your VPN service provider (likely in a .zip folder) and unzip if necessary
- Enter the unzipped folder, then Ctrl + A to highlight all files, then Ctrl + C to copy
- Now enter the OpenVPN config folder, it will located in
- Now Ctrl + V to paste the files into this folder, you may need to give Administrator permission for this, if so click Continue.
NOTE* Windows VISTA & 7 users you may need to alter file permissions on the config folder first, see this Technet guide
- Now start the OpenVPN GUI app by going to Start > All Programs > OpenVPN GUI
- Look for the OpenVPN taskbar icon as shown below and right-click on it (you may have to click the reveal arrow ^)
- You should now see either a single Connect item or multiple server locations, navigate to each and connect as required (see below)
- Once you click Connect, OpenVPN will attempt the connection and request your username and password so enter these as required
- OpenVPN will advise you if the connection was successful or not. For troubleshooting see this FAQ.
- All done!