In this guide I will show you how to connect your Windows (all versions) PC/laptop to any VPN service that’s using the SoftEther SSL-VPN protocol. SoftEther SSL-VPN is a very safe and easy VPN protocol to setup and can easily traverse firewalls making it a good choice for those of you who live in oppresive regimens.
Before we start the connection setup process, you will need to find out the following details (best have them written down or printed). If you are connecting to a paid VPN service, just login and your details and settings will be there. If you are connecting via a workplace, please contact your Network Administrator and ask them for the following details:
- Your VPN username
- Your VPN password
- Server host name or IP address (ie. contoso.com or 22.214.171.1249)
- Desirable to know the Authentication type (RADIUS or standard)
Once you have this info you can then watch the video above or follow the text guide below.
Connect via SoftEther SSL-VPN on Windows
- Download the SoftEther Windows Client from http://www.softether-download.com/en.aspx?product=softether and choose (1) SoftEther VPN Client (2) Windows (3) Intel (x86 and x64)
- Once downloaded, locate and right-click on it, choose Run as Administrator then click Yes to the securty alert to allow the program to run
- Follow the installation instructions leaving everything at defaults
- Click on the Start icon bottom-left of your screen and navigate to the SoftEther app and start it up
- Double click on Add VPN Connection, click Yes to add a new Virtual Network Adapter, leave the name at VPN and click OK (be patient as it can take a while to complete)
- Double click Add VPN Connection again, the New VPN Connection window will open
- For Setting Name: give it a descriptive name (ie. HomeVPN or WorkVPN)
- For Host Name: enter the server name or IP address (ie contoso.com or 126.96.36.199)
- Now click on Hub Name: and the app should automatically detect and display the name, if it doesn’t just enter VPN for this option
- Leave everything else at defaults (unless you have been given specific instructions to enter custom values)
- In the right hand side section, choose either Standard Password Authetication or RADIUS Authentication, if you’re unsure, try Standard first, if it doesn’t work try RADIUS
- Enter your VPN Username and Password into the respective fields
- Finally click OK to save and close the window
- You should now see your new connection, to connect, simply right-click on it and choose Connect, to disconnect, right-click on it and choose Disconnect
- SoftEther VPN Client will advise you if the connection was successful or not. If unsuccessful, double check all settings again or contact your VPN service provider or Network Administrator
- All done!