Sometimes, the best way to get Internet Explorer on Windows 8/8.1 up-and-running again is to reset it back to its default settings. It’s reasonably easy and I’ll show you how in this guide.
Watch the video above or follow the text guide below.
Reset Internet Explorer back to default settings
This guide applies to Windows 8.0 and Windows 8.1
- Open Internet Explorer in Desktop mode
- Click/tap the Gear icon top-right of the browser window
- Click/tap the Internet Options menu item
- Click/tap on the Advanced tab on the Internet Options window
- Click/tap the Reset… button on the lower part of the window
- For the Delete personal settings check box you can either:
- Check if selling your PC or need to fully reset IE back to default settings (ie. after virus infection)
- Leave un-checked if you’re performing regular maintenance
- Click/tap the Reset button, IE will now reset
- After the reset process is complete, click/tap the Close button
- Close IE and restart your PC
- You’re all done!