OK time for some fun! I recently built a custom Smoothwall firewall that I had wanted to build for almost a year, so I finally bought the parts and went for it. Only problem is that the case I bought was for a “Thin” Mini-ITX motherboard, but the motherboard I bought was a standard Mini-ITX size, so I learned the hard way that there is a big difference between “Mini-ITX” and “Thin Mini-ITX”.
Not one to be beaten, I decided to “Mod” the case and make it accept the full size Mini-ITX board that I already had, and not buy another mobo damn it!
- Apple style iCase, Thin Mini-ITX
- Gigabyte mobo J1900N-D3V
- 12v 160w Pico ATX PSU power supply (eBay)
- Elpida 4GB PC12800 1600MHz RAM low voltage 1.35v (eBay)
- Mini PCIe extender ribbon cable (eBay)
- 10A 12v AC/DC power supply (eBay)
- Mini PCIe dual Gigabit ethernet adapter NIC (eBay)
- Real metal chrome letters (eBay)
- Fujitsu 64GB SSD hard drive (already had it)
- Orange LED pulled from old case